Business & Professional Women of Nevada County
The mission of Business & Professional Women of Nevada County (BPW-NC) is to support and promote equity for women in all aspects of their lives. One of its primary objectives is to advocate on National, State, and Local legislative issues of importance to working women.
BPW-NC’s bedrock principle guiding its advocacy efforts is: “Every woman has the right to equal opportunity.”
Consistent with its guiding principles, BPW-NC supports legislation, public funding and public policies that further women’s equal legal status, fair treatment and full opportunity in the workplace, within educational institutions and in our communities and homes. Further, it opposes legislation, public funding and public policies that would impinge on women’s reproductive rights and supports those that recognize and promote women’s right to be free from the threat of violence.
ADVOCACY PRIORITIES ARE TO:
- Support legislation promoting pay equity for women.
- Support legislation promoting family-friendly leave policies in the workplace.
- Support implementation of federal healthcare reform that is equitable for women.
- Support laws aimed at eliminating sexual harassment and violence against women.
- Oppose state budget cutbacks that unfairly limit access to reproductive healthcare and family planning services.
- Oppose state budget cutbacks that unfairly limit access to childcare subsidies for working women.
- Support the work and continued existence of and funding for the California Commission on the Status of Women.
- Support local school policies and practices that promote comprehensive, medically accurate, unbiased and age-appropriate sex education.
Emphasis on the Advocacy Priorities listed above and on other emerging issues will fluctuate from time to time based on current events and circumstances.
Approved by BPW-NC Board on November 3, 2010
Adopted by BPW-NC membership on November 17, 2010